All of us want to be healthy. While a few experts consider your weight in proportion to your height to be the ideal way of determining whether or not you are healthy, there are other experts who take a lot of other factors into consideration to decide the same. In this particular article, we shall understand more about one such index which is widely used to determine whether or not a person have a healthy BMI or the Body Mass Index by checking around with the healthy bmi range and levels. So, let us read the article and find out more about the particular index.
The BMI is also called the Body mass Index. The BMI is the measure which helps you understand whether or not your body is healthy. It makes the use of the individuals height and weight to calculate the body index and to suggest whether or not the body is healthy. The main way of calculating the index is to take your weight in kilograms and divide it by your height which is measured in meters square. For example, if your BMI is 30, it would mean your BMI is actually 30kg per square meter of your height.
How Do You Read the BMI?
In normal circumstances, the Body Mass Index can be analyzed in the following manner or also you can check out the BMI Chart for reference here:
- If the BMI is less than 18.5, the adult is regarded to be underweight
- If the BMI is falls between 18.5 to 24.9, the adult is regarded to be of normal weight
- If the BMI is falls between 25 to 29.9, the adult is regarded to be overweight
- If the BMI of the individual is beyond 30, the adult is regarded to be obese
Healthy BMI for Men and Women:
The above rule for measuring the BMI and then taking out your health portion of the body is applicable to both men and women alike. You need only your exact height and weight to get to know what your Body Mass Index is. You should take your weight in the morning before you eat your breakfast. You should also know your exact height for this purpose.
For men and women specifically, the following is the reading:
If your BMI is less than 18.5, you are underweight, if it is between 18.5 to 24.9, you are of normal weight, If the BMI is falls between 25 to 29.9, you are an overweight man, and finally if your BMI is more than 30, you are actually obese. You can also read about the best and healthy bmi range for women here.
Healthy BMI Interpretation for Children (Both Boys’ and Girls’) and Teens:
For calculating the BMI for children-both boys and girls as well as teens, the results is taken out in a percentile format and then the results are interpreted accordingly. The reason for the same is that the amount of fat that the body has is different in different age groups. Besides, the interpretation will also differ depending on whether you are a boy or a girl. Therefore, the CDC or the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has come up with a BMI percentile calculator to understand and interpret your BMI in a better way.
The interpretation is as follows:
- If your BMI Percentile calculator shows less than 5th percentile, you are certainly underweight
- If you lie somewhere in between 5th percentile and 85th percentile, you have a normal body weight
- If you lie somewhere in between 85th percentile and 95th percentile, you are a child or a teen who is overweight
- If your BMI is higher than 95th percentile, you are someone who is obese.
Obesity should be controlled as it is a root cause of many diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and various other ailments too. If used appropriately, the Body Mass index can help you discover the state your body is in and you can, in fact, avoid a lot of diseases.
Is Body Mass Index a Good and Accurate Way of Telling Whether or Not You Are Healthy?
Most people belief that the BMI is a good and accurate way of analysis whether or not your body is healthy. Well there are lot of thinking about bmi ranges and levels. The reason for the same is that the index is a measure of your own weight and height and thus is natural and is known to give accurate results. The index is known to take into account the natural factors into consideration such as how is your body shape with respect to the weight.
Some disadvantages of using BMI:
- It is a well-known fact that muscle is much denser than fat. Hence, if you check the BMI of professional boxers, weight lifters, etc. their BMI will point towards them being obese. However, it might not be the case. Hence, BMI is not a great and accurate measure of measuring BMI in these cases
- In case of older people in whom the muscle mass has reduced due to old age over a period of time, the BMI cannot be considered a good measure of determining whether or not the person is healthy and the body is doing well
Because of the reasons as mentioned above, the Body Mass Index should not be the only factor that should decide whether or not a person is obese or whether or not a person is healthy. Care should be taken to make it a point that in case you do go for a BMI measurement and the results are not satisfactory, you go for a second opinion and consult a health professional. Some of the factors that is considered by the doctors is the size of the waist, body fat measurement, risks of getting various diseases, health risks, amongst others.
Thus, your Body Mass Index, if used wisely can help you determine about your health. However, this cannot and should not be the only measure which shall decide the state of your body. You need to take into account the other factors that will give you the accurate results also you need to follow a lot of factor to get your weight balanced.